Support for foster youth
The Guardian Scholars Program (GSP) assists current or former foster youth in succeeding at De Anza College.
By providing students with individual attention and access to supportive resources, we hope that all of our scholars achieve academic success, graduation, employment and the ability to become a contributing member of society.
Guardian Scholars receive
- Full financial aid package – grants and scholarship packages that cover tuition
- Academic advising – assistance with class selection and registration
- Employment services, mentoring and career counseling – job placement, shadowing and advising
- Personal guidance, counseling and tutoring – regular contact with a consistent counselor to develop and monitor an education plan
- Supplemental support – including textbook vouchers, meal vouchers, gas cards, child care and transportation help
- Additional resources
Become a Scholar
By becoming a Guardian Scholar at De Anza, current and former foster youth get opportunities to participate in special events and activities, and to develop supportive relationships with faculty, staff and other students. Currently there are approximately 40 students in the program, and each is on their own unique path to academic and professional success.
In addition, Guardian Scholars are supported by caring and understanding staff members who empower and encourage them to never give up. Obtaining a college degree can be challenging, but with a proper support system in place, the sky is the limit for our students.
– Join us on Facebook! –
"GSP has shown me that despite my struggles and upbringing, there's people out there who endured the same pain as I did. Those individuals were able to thrive and find their happiness in their own special way despite being a foster child or troubled youth. That alone empowers me to keep going and thrive for a better tomorrow."- student at the 2017 GSP End of Year Celebration
"I enjoyed everything about the event and how we were all honored for our hard work. I'm just thankful for all the support from the GSP."- student at the 2017 GSP End of Year Celebration
Foster Youth Program
What is the Foster Youth Success Initiative?
The Foster Youth Success Initiative (FYSI) was created to help current and/or former youth coming from foster care to succeed at De Anza College.
Who is eligible for Foster Youth Support Services?
- You are most likely eligible for GSP if one or more of the following applies to you
You are currently in foster care
- You lived in a foster home or group home in the past
- A judge or court had you live with a friend, relative, or someone who was not your biological parent
- You emancipated ("aged out") of the system
- You currently live or have lived in a Transitional Living Program
Learn more about the Foster Youth Success Initiative.
The following scholarships are available specifically to current and former foster youth. Please make sure you read the requirements for each application to make sure you are qualified.
- Family Fellowship Scholarship
- Foster Care to Success Scholarships
- Foster a Dream Dare to Dream Scholarship
- International Student Foundation Scholarship
- National Foster Parent Association Youth Scholarship
- Shawn Carter Foundation Scholarship
- Silicon Valley Childrens Fund YES Scholarship
Check this list for more scholarships.
Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle
- Five Tips to Help Manage Stress
- Stress Management Tips to Help Find the Calm in your Life
- Top 10 Nutrition Tips for Everyday Health