students with laptops

How to Apply

At De Anza College, we've made it easy to apply for admission and qualify for priority registration, so you can get the classes you need to achieve your goals.

All it takes is a few simple steps ...

Apply for Admission

Get Priority Enrollment

Apply Online

The Apply Now button will take you to OpenCCC, an online application system used by De Anza and other California community colleges.
  • Please allow 5-6 working days for processing your application. There may be a slight delay of an additional day or two if we need more information to process your application, but we will contact you if that becomes necessary.
  • International students: Most students attending on an F-1 visa will need to use a different application form. To learn more, please visit the International Student Admissions webpage.
  • Do you have questions about admissions or residency requirements? Visit our Admission Requirements webpage or contact the Admissions and Records Office for assistance.


Complete Assessment

De Anza will assess most students on the basis of their U.S. high school transcripts and GPA, so they can be placed in the right Language Arts and Math courses for their level of knowledge. In some cases, the college may use other assessment methods. 

Once you've applied for admission, you will receive a welcome letter with your De Anza student identification number, known as a campuswide ID or CWID. Use that number to log into MyPortalthen open the Apps section and click on the Student Registration tile, then look under My Records and click View My Placement Results

If you don't see a placement in MyPortal, then we may not have received your high school transcript. (Some high schools forward the information automatically, but that doesn't always happen.) In that case, here's how you can provide the information we need:

You may also see a notification on MyPortal if you need to take placement tests or provide more information.

Note: Completing the assessment process for Language Arts and Math is an important step in qualifying for priority registration

Incoming transfer students: If you've completed English, ESL, math, chemistry or biology courses at another college or received qualifying scores on high school AP exams, see our page on Prerequisite Clearance.

Complete Orientation

If you're a new student at De Anza, you should sign up for a short orientation session to get important information that will help you succeed. We offer orientation through live workshops on Zoom or as an online course that you can complete at your own pace.

Completing orientation is a requirement to qualify for priority registration. You will also get help with creating an abbreviated educational plan for your first one or two quarters, which is also required for priority registration. 

Create an Educational Plan

An educational plan is a road map for achieving your goals. As part of orientation, new students will get help with developing an abbreviated ed plan for their first one or two quarters. Continuing students should have a comprehensive ed plan for three or more quarters.

You can create a plan using Degree Works, an online tool that you'll find on MyPortal. Check with one of Our Counselors for assistance.

You're Ready to Go!

Once you've completed these steps, you will get priority registration to sign up for classes. See the buttons below.

Updates and Tips for Online Learning This Fall

Visit our Online Fall webpage for the latest updates plus tips for online learning and additional resources.

Special Notes

  • International students: You must use a different application process if you are planning to attend De Anza on an F-1 visa – unless you are planning to take classes at De Anza while you are already enrolled at another U.S. college or university. Please visit our International Student Admissions webpage for detailed instructions.
  • Have a disability? Our Disability Support Services office can assist you.
  • High school students: If you want to take college classes while you are still in high school, use the OpenCCC application, but be sure to visit the Dual Enrollment webpage for additional steps.
  • Undocumented students: Use the OpenCCC application, but be sure to review our AB 540 Guide, which explains how to request exemption from out-of-state tuition.
  • Veterans: Use the OpenCCC application and visit the Veteran Services webpage for additional steps.

Get Your Degree - or Transfer - FREE!

Remember to apply for the De Anza College Promise: Eligible students get free tuition and fees for two years, plus $1,000 that you can use for books, materials or even a computer!

Back to Top