General Meeting Information
Date: January 30,
Time: 1:30 - 3 p.m.
Location: ADM 109
Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader Outcome 1:30-1:40 p.m. Approval of Notes from November 28, 2017 A
Approve the notes 1:40 - 2:10 p.m. I/D Cheu Budget Update 2:10 - 2:50 p.m. Guided Pathways Update I/D Chow Information Sharing 2:50 - 3 p.m. Quick News I All Information Sharing
A = Action
D = Discussion
I = Information
Meeting Notes - January 30, 2018
Approval of Notes from November 28, 2017
The notes were approved.
Cheu shared that the latest news on the Governor's 18/19 Budget was posted to the website for review. In the final state budget of his tenure, the Governor sent a clear message to colleges that he expects significant changes in both the delivery and the state’s financial support of education with increased attention to student outcomes. The 2018-19 budget acknowledges the need to prepare Californians for economic instability and uncertainty through timely access to meaningful degrees and credentials.
Among other proposals, Governor Brown makes two significant and notable expenditures in the 2018-19 budget: 1) a new fully online community college targeting working Californians with no degree or credential, and 2) a new outcomes-focused funding formula. 50% based on full-time equivalent student enrollment; 25% based on students receiving California College Promise Grants and Pell Grants; 25% based on short and long-term student success metrics (degrees, certificates, awards, and ADTs)
A new funding formula could mean additional ongoing funds but what it will take to meet the new funding model is largely unknown as there is very little detail on how the Governor’s proposal will be implemented. Cheu highlighted that, therefore, these numbers are in fluctuation as there are many factors that are yet to be determined at the State level. This uncertainly makes forecasting very problematic
California Community College fully online community college is not tied to the OEI grant. The Chancellor’s Office stated that it would not take away students from traditional community colleges as they are targeting students who work full-time and have family obligations. Most Community College representatives at the budget workshop did not agree with this premise.
Scheduled maintenance/Instructional Equipment funding is historically where money is taken from when other funding projects take precedent.
Cheu summarized the De Anza second quarter B budget expenditures (as at Dec. 31, 2017).
In Chow's absence she supplied the following information:
Guided Pathways Core Team, 1/24 Wednesday 3:00-3:35 PM, El Milagro Room
1. Team decided on attending the February 26 IEPI Workshop in Sacramento. Confirmed attendees: Rob, Karen H, Karen C, Jim Tamica, Lorrie, George, Alicia , Christina, & Patty
2. We will schedule weekly GP Core Team meetings on Thursdays 3:00-4:00 PM (except for College Council meeting days) and those who can attend will attend.
3. Objective of next Core Team meeting 2/1 Thurs: Look over the 14 Key Elements in our Self-Assessment and determine which elements to focus on advancing in our next Work Plan (Spring 2018 to Summer 2019). Karen will try to get more guidance from CCCCO on whether there are a minimum number of elements that should be focused on for the Work Plan, and also whether we can be in Inquiry phase on all of them.
4. We will be working on going out and getting more wider input from a variety of campus constituents (students, faculty, administrators, on-the-ground student services staff) and groups (EAC, DASB, academic divisions & departments, A&R, Counseling, etc)
5. Karen will:
A) Work with Danielle (Brian’s Assistant) to register Core Team members for the Feb. 26 workshop in Sacramento
B) send out links to:
1. CCCCO IEPI/Guided Pathways website
2. Attachments of our submitted Self-Assessment
C) Send out Outlook invites for weekly GP Core Team meetings on Thursdays 3:00-4:00 PM
D) try to get more guidance from CCCCO on whether there are a minimum number of elements that should be focused on for the Work Plan, and also whether we can be in Inquiry phase on all of them.
Present: Cheu, Gerardo (for Kirkpatrick), Gerrard, Gore, Varela Notes: Gibson
Apologies: Chow, Kandula, Mieso
Documents and Links
- 2018/19 Governor's Budget Update
- 2018/19 State Budget Chart Major Augmentations
- DA Second Quarter Update
- 2018/19 Governor's Budget Summary from the State
- 2018/19 ACCC/ACBO Budget Workshop Handout
- Guided Pathways Update