General Meeting Information

Date: January 19, 2023
Time: 3:30 p.m - 5:00 p.m.

  • Agenda


    Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader
    3:30 p.m. - 3:35 p.m.  Approve Notes from November 17, 2022  A  Balm/ Holmes
    3:35 p.m. - 3:40 p.m

    Strong Work Force and Perkins funds allocations

    A Woodbury/Espinosa-Pieb
    3:40 p.m. - 3:50 p.m.   Classified Senate Update  I  Garcia
    3:50 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.    Shared Governance Update  I  Balm
    4:00 p.m. - 4:10 p.m.  Presidential Update  I  Holmes
    4:10 p.m. - 4:50 p.m.  Measure G  I, D  Homes/Balm/Garcia
    4:50 p.m. - 4:55 p.m.  Report-outs from Governance Teams  I  Member Representatives
    4:55 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.

     Quick News

     I All 

    A = Action
    D = Discussion
    I = Information

  • Minutes

    November 17, 2022 Minutes Approved.

    Strong Work Force and Perkins funds allocations

    IPBT at their November meeting approved the funds, Taskforce for IPBT is made of every CTE programs on campus, member of that taskforce makes recommendations to IPBT to determine how to spend Perkins funds and strong work force dollars at the local and regional.

    The funds can only be used for CTE programs, parts of the funds are used for instructional salaries, but temporarily and only for CTE.

     College Council members approved the reccommendation.

    Classified Senate Update

    Garcia shared that Sarah Wallace is no longer at De Anza and asks for continued support as they move forward. Any questions-partnerships can be sent to Chung-Tabangcura and Garcia.

    Holmes expressed concerns regarding classified senate participation, in leadership positions and shared governance. Holmes asked if Classified Senate is discussing how to increase participation and what others can do to encourage classified participation.

    Garcia will ask for feedback from Classified Senate at their next meeting and will report back at the February meeting. Garcia noted some issues affecting participation such as the workload capacity, multiple roles, understaffed departments, and availability. Others mentioned management allowing individuals to participate in shared governance but not allowing overtime and/or no backfilled to cover front office duties to serve students/staff.

    An Academic Senate member noted that there has been two Classified Senate Presidents to leave the organization entirely and wonders if exit interviews are being held, adding that there is a crisis in classified attempting to lead and be part of shared governance.   

    Holmes noted the importance of classified senate voices being heard and supported. Another attendee expressed concerns/conflict with naming managers that are not allowing participation. Holmes highligheted that in conversations with Senior Staff addressing this topic- retaliation will not be tolerated.

    Shared Governance Update

    PAC officially launched. Balm shared website link which includes minutes, agenda and zoom link. These meetings will be open meetings and anyone can attend. 

    Balm referenced the November agenda which has two (commentable) docs and the SG retreat- which was getting PAC going, then turning focus on handbook and reaching out to committees to determine mission and charges, what can be combined/dissolved, followed by training- in collaboration with office of professional development, work is in progress. 

    When asked how resource allocations decisions will be made while PAC works on the identity development, Woodbury noted that it is a week-to-week answer as they are working on norms and charges- laying groundwork before finalizing. Briefly discussed staffing, hiring, lottery, and topic will be coming back next at their meeting next week. There is no specific timeline but working on developing that. Grey also noted an upcoming discussion at their next meeting on how the budget committee will work with PAC and what committee will have the knowledge to make solid recommendations to College Council.

    Presidential Update

    The search for VPI job announcement has closed as of January 12. Holmes noted that he is not part of that process/logistics and that there will be open forums for the finalists.

    For the Year of the Rabbit De Anza is sponsoring a project through the Cupertino Rotary, there wil be eleven rabbits on camps. Holmes expressed gratitude to Daniel Smith, Sam Bliss and the Arts on Campus committee for coordinating. Holmes will meet with the student art guild to ask that designs be summitted for the rabbits that will be displayed on campus.  

    At the Chancellor’s table, Holmes is having conversations about budget and allocations De Anza receives as well as enrollment management- there will be conversations with Shared Governance bodies about different enrollment management models to take back. Anu Kahnna has met with various unions and will continue meeting with other groups before drafting a model. Holmes noted the importance of Academic Senate's involvement in those conversations. 

    The District is holding a collegiality in action training on Feb 24, 2023, more information to follow.

    Measure G

    A meeting with the Creative Arts division has been schedule on February 3, the invitation has been sent to Dean Daniel Smith and Andre Meggerson, Holmes asked them to forward it to individuals in the department. On January 23, LPAS is schedule to meet at De Anza to provide additional options to explore and get feedback. In addition, Holmes has been in conversation regarding a student forum organized by DASG. Huang also noted discussing possibility of hosting a student forum, sometime in mid-February, to allow creative arts to give feedback and forward it to the LPAS.

    There will be two surveys going out specifically about the nature of the event center. The surveys are not developed by the Office of Communications or institutional research but by a subcontractor group of the architect noted earlier and it will be a market analysis. There will also be open forums regarding the event center by AMS-emails to follow. Spatafore shared website where the two surveys are posted. Holmes asks that those in attendance to remind constituencies of the importance of taking the surveys. Surveys will likely close at the end of February.

    Attendee asked if surveys about the services for student and arts relocation will also be conducted with the college community. Grey noted that once they enter the design phase they would. They are currently working on gathering/ addressing needs of those who will be housed in that building. There are many different stages in the MEGA project, each firm has its own specialty.

    Nguyen noted that FA passed resolution in support of the Arts- Holmes has received a copy, please see report-out document.

    Grey mentioned the other project at De Anza that is currently being worked on, which is converting the softball field into a beach volleyball field, it is in the design phase and more updates will follow as it moves forward.

    When asked if Measure G/Event Center is a district project, how much input De Anza will have in programming in the event center, in terms of what goes inside that building, Holmes noted the need for a building that servers our students first- a space that can be utilized by faculty, staff and students. Holmes highlighted need for custodians to run that space, activities, revenue, and funds allocation. Holmes noted the importance that those working in the event center need to be De Anza employees. Attendees expressed gratitude for the support he is showing to advocate for De Anza and it's employees.

    When Holmes was asked what others can do to help support advocate for De Anza- Measure G, he noted the importance as budget committees to knowing what dollars come in and out as well as allocation of dollars at a district level- taking a deep dive in the operations of the campus through the shared bodies.

    Report-outs from Governance Teams

    Holmes encourages all to read the quick news sent out by the Office of communications. 

    Spatafore noted the upcoming Villages event scheduled on February 14, the Sillicon Valley reads event  on January 26, more information can be found in the website, the Veterean's Mural has been finished and a video will follow. Spatafore asks for patience as the wondeful communications associate-Iman Seal is no longer at DA- are short-staffed but in the process of hiring in that position.

    Woodbury reported the resigantion of Mehran Karimi and delay in training for eLume, please see the report-outs document for additional information.

    DASG shared ongoing elections, student engagemenet with Measure G, parking regulations banning roller skates resolutions has been sent to Holmes. 

    FA mentioned the recent passing of Rich Hansen.

    EAC will resume meeting this quarter and have an off camous retreat scheduled tomorrow. 

    Please read the reports at the link provided.


    College Council Meeting          Start Time / End Time
                                                            3:24:34 PM    5:01:14 PM
    Name (Original Name)  

    Adriana       91
    Cheryl Jaeger Balm     93
    Christina G. Espinosa-Pieb (she#her# ella)   2
    Christina G. Espinosa-Pieb (she#her# ella)   89
    DASG President       1
    DASG President       88
    Dr. Elvin T. Ramos     2
    Dr. Elvin T. Ramos     90
    Eric Mendoza       1
    Eric Mendoza       88
    Erik Woodbury       3
    Erik Woodbury       90
    jim nguyen       4
    jim nguyen       90
    Karen Chow       1
    Karen Chow       90
    Laureen Balducci       1
    Laureen Balducci       88
    Lloyd Holmes       92
    Marisa Spatafore     1
    Marisa Spatafore     88
    Michele LeBleu-Burns     1
    Michele LeBleu-Burns     89
    Moaty Fayek       2
    Moaty Fayek       89
    Nathaly Aguilar (She/Her/Hers)   97
    Olga Evert       1
    Olga Evert       57
    Pam Grey       1
    Pam Grey       81
    Pam Grey’s iPhone     1
    Pam Grey’s iPhone     6
    Patty Guitron       1
    Patty Guitron       89
    Pauline Wethington     1
    Pauline Wethington     89
    Pippa Gibson       2
    Pippa Gibson       89
    Rob Mieso       2
    Rob Mieso       89
    Thomas Ray (he# him)     1
    Thomas Ray (he# him)     90
    Vins Chacko       1
    Vins Chacko       36
    Vins Chacko       53

Documents and Links

Back to Top