General Meeting Information
Date: May 16,
Time: 1:30 - 3:00p.m.
Location: DA Library, El Milagro Rm LC237
Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader 1:30 p.m. Review Agenda & Notes I/D Mieso/Robles 1:35 p.m. AB 705 Status Update I/D Wheat 2:00 p.m. AB 705 Data Review:
I/D Newell 2:30 p.m. Program & Committee I/D Newell 3:00 p.m. Adjourn
A = Action
D = Discussion
I = Information
SSPBT Goals & Priorities 2018-19
- Enrollment, Retention, Student Success
- Student Centered Funding Formula
- Guided Pathways
- New Intiatives: AB705, AB19, SEAP
Members: Avila, Balducci, Booye, DASB (B. Tanubrata) , Galoyan, Glapion, Kirkpatrick, LeBleu-Burns, Mandy, Mieso (co-chair), Robles (co-chair), Shannakian, Shively, Wethington, White-Daniels
Attending Members: Avila, Booye, Galoyan, Glapion, Mieso (co-chair), Robles (co-chair), Shannakian, Shively, Wethington
Guest: Mallory Newell and Casie Wheat
There was one amendment to the notes and none to the agenda.
AB 705 Status Update
Wheat presented an update on the status of AB 705.
- English and Math placement testing will continue until the Guided Self-Placement (GSP)
tools are created in Canvas. This is only for students who do not have U.S. high school
transcripts or GPA.
- English is almost ready to transition, maybe a summer roll out
- Math is still determining the GPA rules for fall implementation, no changes for summer
- ESL is working to develop more student friendly materials that will be available in
multiple languages. ESL has another year before discontinuation the placement tests.
- To Dos:
- Need to re-place students within new course sequence and new placement mode
- Inform counselors of the changes/updates
- Update the website to reflect the changes
- Summary, English Placement Chart, and Math Course Sequence document
There will be a campus wide campaign to contact students who haven’t taken classes in English or math or who have taken a placement test in the last three years to let them know of the changes. New information can be found on the Assessment home page: http://www.deanza.edu/assessment/
AB 705 Data Review
- Overall enrollment increased for EWRT 1A and Math 10 for fall 18 and Winter 19 quarters
- + 706 in EWRT 1A with 393 successful completions
- + 1147 in Math 10 with 612 successful completions
- Shively wanted to know if there was a data breakdown on the grades? Did the student
receive any tutoring, assistance, etc.?
- Newell responded that they did not have that information but they are interested in more data regarding the grades in general.
- Newell did say the English modality didn’t matter but the math modality online was 50-50
- Questions arose about what the data was showing; were students being passed through
the classes just so they can transfer? Will they be successful when they transfer?
- Newell stated that there is no conclusion at this point regarding transfer, class progression, etc. Further surveys will be done to go deeper into the data.
- Galoyan mentioned that studies have shown students build their skills at Community College and are better prepared and more successful when they transfer to 4-year colleges than the students who start as freshman at the 4-year colleges.
Program & Committee Updates
- Booye reported that DSPS summer registration is coming up along with the year-end
celebration on June 13th.
- Mieso reported that the DASB budget presentation at the May 6th Board Meeting was well received.
- Avila reported that the SLO assessment cycle was closed and will be posted soon.
- A reminder that it is Classified Professionals Day Friday, May 17th
- English and Math placement testing will continue until the Guided Self-Placement (GSP) tools are created in Canvas. This is only for students who do not have U.S. high school transcripts or GPA.
Documents and Links
- AB 705 Status Update
- AB 705 Full Summary
- Fall Quarter 2018 Drop Memo
- AB 705 Analysis Winter Quarter 2019
- AB 705 Full Presentation