General Meeting Information
Date: June 2,
Time: 1:30-3 p.m.
Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader 1:30-1:35 p.m. Welcome and Introductions I/D All 1:35-1:40 p.m. Approval of minutes I/D/A All 1:40-1:50 p.m. Website improvements and updates I/D Harrell 1:50-2 p.m. eLumen updates I/D Harrell 2-2:35 p.m.
Tech Plan accomplishments
I/D All 2:35-2:45 p.m. D All 2:45-3 p.m.
- Banner Student
- ETS Project Scheduling
- Online Education Advisory Committee
A = Action
D = Discussion
I = Information
Welcome and Introductions
The meeting began promptly.
Approval of Minutes
Minutes were approved without any revisions.
Website improvements and updates
Spatafore noted that there are many website updates related to graduation at this time. Harrell showed the new, grad-themed homepage cover video and updated graduation webpage with congrats cards and more.
Harrell also shared the "package scheduling" draft webpage which has information about how students can easily choose their combo of on-campus classes. The plan is to publish the page by the end of the month, around the time that the fall schedule is released. Next, Harrell shared updates related to scheduling. Additionally, a web-based PPE request form will be available soon for certain areas; this was a request from College Operations. Another update Harrell discussed was the improved "404 content not found page." Now, this page will populate with suggested results based on the user's search terms.
Harrell shared that work is ongoing. They are ironing out caveats with the workflow system. Work has also begun on implementing the catalog. Pape shared updates related to assessments and eLumen.
Tech Plan accomplishments
Goal Description Accomplishments Goal 1: Increase Overall Student Access to Technology for Learning and Services Includes but not limited to the provision of laptops for students, and other devices as necessary; software and software as a service (SAAS) as appropriate, both required and that would enhance the student experience; continuous technical improvement of communications resources including the website, app and portal; and classroom equipment to support student learning and engagement in evolving modalities, with classroom needs documented through updated classroom standards, program review and the Facilities Condition Assessment
- New course packaging pilot (Spatafore)
- Catalog improvements (Spatafore)
- Facilitating use of technology through forthcoming Village spaces (Pape)
- In the process of implementing degree auto-awarding for students (Galoyan)
- Upgraded College Source contract to College Source Test Campus, which will allow prospective and current students to identify course equivalents nationwide for transfer purposes (Galoyan)
- ARMS software is being used for some teams already and will be rolled out soon for others (Owiesny)
- Athletics is continuing to use technology and improve processes to detect concussions in student-athletes (Owiesny)
Goal 2: Increase and Enhance Faculty and Staff Professional Development and Training Includes but not limited to robust training and related communication about the trainings based on faculty and classified professional feedback, including to holistically improve online pedagogy and pedagogy in the use of technology tools, including in evolving modalities and accessibility training
- Online Education is in the process of hiring for open positions (Ray)
- Professional Development is working on their usual spring events and Flex Activity Report for the state (Ray)
- Representatives from ARMS will be conducting faculty training to use the software (Owiesny)
Goal 3: Continue Work to Ensure Accessibility Includes but not limited to implementation of SAAS to support an equitable teaching and learning environment; researching strategies and emerging technologies and implementing as appropriate; ongoing ensuring of accessibility in instructional and communications tools
- Redesign of dedicated assistive technology classroom space for students (Lakshmanan)
Goal 4: Enhance Communication and Collaboration with ETS to Achieve Evolving Priority College Objectives
Strategy to include monthly small-group meetings of Tech Committee and ETS leadership, with updates as requested, on college-identified priorities including but not limited to
- Ubiquitous, functioning Wi-Fi, including on Athletics fields and in parking lots
- Upgraded technology for employees, including shorter personal technology refresh cycle of three years, as appropriate
- Improving communication, including of system and software availability and changes
- Development and support of peripheral loan program to address additional needs, such as doc cams, iPads for whiteboards, etc.
- College-identified projects that
- Directly affect student success or the student experience, particularly timely requests via expert administrators
- Address regulatory issues
- Ongoing improvements to and implementations of wireless internet in more spaces (Spatafore, Grey)
- Ongoing discussions and implementations of HyFlex classrooms (Grey)
Annual Governance Reflection Survey
Committee members completed the annual governance reflections together.
Accessibility updates were discussed throughout the meeting.
Galoyan provided the following updates:
- Soon, Banner 9 will go live and Banner 8 self-service will be migrated to Banner 9.
- The new version of DegreeWorks is set to be implemented by the end of August.
- The process for true/preferred name change and accompanying frustrations for employees have been communicated to ETS. Support from Human Resources is needed to advance this project.
Harrell added that database updates were supposed to happen over the long Labor Day weekend.
Luciw noted that ETS is in the design phase of the WiFi expansion project. There is a site walk coming up soon.
ETS Project Scheduling
Grey shared that there are ongoing improvements to and implementations of wireless internet in more spaces. Grey alsomentioned that there are ongoing discussions and implementations of HyFlex rooms and capabilities on campus, including conference rooms ADM 106 and 109.
Finally, Grey noted that there is a project related to security cameras through Measure G. Luciw is also involved in the project. More information is forthcoming.
Online Education Advisory Committee
Ray shared that the group has not met in a while but that meetings are set to resume this fall.
Brennan shared that the Faculty Association (FA) will be launching a new website in late summer or early fall.