About the CompTechS Program
Learn Computer Technical Support Skills
The CompTechS program's goal is to help students transition to the professional work environment within the information technology field. The program provides the training and real world experience essential for entry into a technical support position. Add to or start your resume with a real job in your field of study.
How to Apply
Download the 4-part Application Packet:
Phase I: Preparation & Application
- Students are expected to have the following skills:
- Basic English
- Basic Math
- Computer Literacy
- Course that covers Microsoft Windows
- Course in one of the following: PC Construction, Networking, or Programming
- Apply for the Program
Download the 4-part Application Packet. Adobe Reader required.
- Submit the Faculty Reference form to your chosen faculty reference with instructions to return the form directly to OTI.
- Mail or deliver the Application, Skills Evaluation and Resume to:
De Anza College
21250 Stevens Creek Blvd
Cupertino CA 95014
- We will contact you for a one-hour interview and program overview. The interview includes a short quiz on hardware, which will help us determine how much supervision you will need in the refurbishing lab.
Phase II: CompTechS Internship
- Once your are accepted into the program, you will need to:
- Complete hiring paperwork
- Maintain enrollment of at least 6 units at Foothill or De Anza
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA
- Commit to working 4 hours per week
Phase III: Industry Internship
Qualified students may have an opportunity to apply for paid industry-based internships. Previous
CompTechS interns have worked in IT departments at companies such as Yahoo, Synopsys,
Molecular Devices, HP, and Genomic Health.
Duties can include:
- Managing returns on warranties
- Installing, supporting and troubleshooting systems
- Performing planned maintenance
- Remote phone support
Students selected by one of our outside employers will be expected to work up to 25 hours per week while school is in session and 40 hours per week during school breaks. Interns are paid and must commit to a minimum of 6-12 months
Phase IV: Transfer and/or Employment
Hundreds of students have completed an on and off-campus internship.
Students transfer to numerous universities including San Jose State, UC Berkeley, UC
Davis, UC Riverside, Santa Clara University, etc.
Companies that have hired CompTechS interns include:
- Genomic Health
- Barracuda Networks
- Many others
For more information, contact our CompTechS Computer Lab coordinator.
Joseph Lipsig, CompTechS Computer Lab Coordinator
The lab is located in the Seminar Building, Room 1C.