Grade Policies

Grades are earned in each course and are recorded on the student’s permanent record. Evaluation of student achievement will be made in relation to the attainment of the specific objectives of the course.

At the beginning of a course, the instructor will explain these objectives and the basis upon which grades are determined. This webpage will explain De Anza's policies on grading, including Pass-No Pass and nonevaluative symbols such as W or I.

Important Information

Dean’s List

Full-time students (those taking 12 or more quarter units) must have a quarterly GPA of 3.30 or higher to qualify for the Dean's List.

Grade Changes

Title 5 of the California State Administrative Code states that "the determination of the student’s grade by the instructor shall be final in the absence of mistake, fraud, bad faith or incompetency.”

  • If students believe corrections should be made within the above restriction, they should first talk to their instructors.
  • Corrections must be initiated within two years of completing any course in which a grade is being disputed.

Grade Policy for COVID-19

In consideration of the disruptions caused by COVID-19, the college adopted a temporary policy for grades earned in the winter, spring, summer and fall of 2020:

  • A grade of F earned for any 2020 term will not be counted in calculating earned units or Grade Point Averages.
  • Grades of D-plus, D and D-minus earned for any 2020 term will not be counted in calculating Grade Point Averages.

The college had planned to extend this policy for winter 2021, based on guidance from the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office. However, because other colleges and universities have applied different policies, De Anza College has decided to resume counting D and F grades for winter 2021 and future quarters. If you believe this will create a significant hardship for you, please contact the Admissions and Records Office for assistance. (Updated March 25, 2021)

Grade Definitions


Excellent:  4.0 points

Excellent:   4.0 points


Excellent:  3.7 points


Good:  3.3 points


Good:  3.0 points


Good:  2.7 points

Satisfactory:   2.3 points
Satisfactory:  2.0 points
Passing, less than satisfactory:  1.3 points
Passing, less than satisfactory:  1.0 point
Passing, less than satisfactory:  0.7 point
Failing:  0 points

Failing: 0 points. This grade indicates that a student has stopped participating in a course after the last day to officially withdraw, without achieving a final passing grade, and the student has not received college authorization to withdraw under extenuating circumstances.


Pass: at least satisfactory; units not counted in GPA. This grade is assigned in courses when student achievement is evaluated on a Pass-No Pass basis rather than a letter grade such as A, B, C, etc. Pass-No Pass courses are designated in the catalog.


No Pass: less than satisfactory, or failing; units not counted in GPA. This grade indicates the student is not attaining course objectives.

Nonevaluative Symbols

These are not used by De Anza in calculating GPA


Incomplete: Academic work is incomplete for unforeseeable, emergency and justifiable reasons at the end of the term. At least 75% of the class must have been completed to qualify for Incomplete status.


In Progress: The symbol denotes that the student is registered for this course, and the grading period is not complete. Work that is "In Progress" will not appear on a student’s transcript until the term has officially begun. It will remain on the transcript until the student has either officially withdrawn (receiving a W) or a grade has been assigned.


Report Delayed: The RD symbol may be assigned by the Office of Admissions and Records only. It is to be used when there is a delay in reporting the grade of a student due to  circumstances beyond the control of the student. It is a temporary notation to be replaced by a permanent symbol as soon as possible.


Withdrawal: A W is assigned when students drop a class after the first two weeks of a regular 12-week term or, if the term is shorter, after 20% of a course duration has passed. However, students may only withdraw and receive a W during the period between the dates on which the course has met for 20% and 75% of its duration. (After 75% of the course duration, students will receive an evaluative grade except in documented extenuating circumstances.) While a W will not be used in calculating GPA, it will be a factor in probation and dismissal procedures. It will also apply in calculating enrollment limits: A student may not enroll in the same course more than three times, including times when they received a W or substandard grades.


Excused Withdrawal: An EW is assigned when a student is permitted to withdraw from a course due to specific events beyond the student’s control, which affect their ability to complete the course. An EW can only be awarded if a student files a petition form providing documentation to prove a “verifiable reason.” In the absence of the petition and documentation, a grade will be assigned to the student record. The EW symbol may be assigned at any time after the deadline to drop a course without receiving a W. An EW will not be counted in progress probation and dismissal calculations, and it will not apply against limits on the number of withdrawals or limits on repeating a class.


Military Withdrawal: An MW is assigned when a student who is a member of an active or reserve U.S. military service receives orders compelling them to withdraw from a course. Upon verification of such orders, an MW will be assigned at any time after the deadline to drop a course without receiving a W. An MW will not be counted in progress probation and dismissal calculations, and it will not apply against limits on the number of withdrawals or limits on repeating a class.

NEW: Pass/No Pass + Excused Withdrawals

The deadlines for requesting Pass/No Pass or an Excused Withdrawal have been extended, in consideration of the disruptions caused by the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. 

  • Pass/No Pass: You can request Pass/No Pass for classes taken in the 2021 summer session or retroactively for classes taken in winter or spring 2021 or winter, spring, summer or fall of 2020. The deadline for these requests is Dec. 31, 2021.
  • Excused Withdrawals: You can request an Excused Withdrawal for classes taken in the 2021 summer session up to the last day of the class. (The last day of class will vary for different summer courses.) Requests for excused withdrawals for previous quarters will not be considered without documentation of extenuating circumstances.

Before choosing Pass/No Pass, you should know that some transfer universities may not accept Pass grades for certain requirements. To learn more about these important considerations and how to submit a request, visit our Special Rules for Pass/No Pass and Excused Withdrawals webpage. (Updated June 29, 2021)                                 

De Anza College uses the P-NP grade for courses authorized by the Board of Trustees and Title 5.  

  • Some courses are Pass-No Pass only and a letter grade cannot be assigned. Check the course description for information on the grade type for each course. Letter grades are not available in these courses.
  • Other courses may allow students to select Pass-No Pass as an option. Students should be aware that some transfer schools may not accept Pass-No Pass results for credit or to satisfy certain requirements. Once a student selects the Pass-No Pass option for a De Anza course, state regulations do not allow that selection to be reversed.

No more than 30 units of Pass-No Pass classes can be applied toward De Anza College degrees. In addition

  • All courses used to satisfy a unit requirement for a major or area of emphasis must be completed with a letter grade of C or better.
  • All courses used to satisfy General Education requirements must be “satisfactorily completed,” which means credit earned on a Pass-No Pass basis or a grade point average of 2.0 or better in community college.
  • Credit units earned on a Pass-No Pass basis will not be counted in calculating a student's GPA. However, a No Pass result will be considered in determining Academic Progress and in probation and dismissal procedures.

Noncredit Courses

Noncredit courses are not recorded on a student’s transcript and grades are not calculated in a student’s GPA. Students in these courses may receive letter grades or be graded on the basis of Pass/No Pass or satisfactory progress. See the individual course description for more information.

Back to Top