Student Equity Overview
Student Equity and AchievementStarting in 2020, De Anza College has consolidated its Basic Skills Initiative (BSI), Student Equity (SE) program and Student Success and Support Program (SSSP) under the Student Equity and Achievement (SEA) program. SEA was established under state Education Code Section 78222 to support Guided Pathways and help eliminate achievement gaps. Please visit the College Planning Committee website for more information about the SEA program at De Anza College.
In January 2011, in response to SB 1163, the California Community Colleges Board of Governors embarked on a 12-month planning process to improve student success, creating the Student Success Task Force. The task force published recommendations in early 2012, many of which became part of the Student Success Act of 2012 (SB1456).
Among many important changes in the act, it reaffirmed the importance of focusing on student equity in the effort to improve student success. In 2013, the state Chancellor’s Office convened a Student Equity Workgroup to review and update the student equity planning process, ensuring that each college identifies strategies to address and monitor equity issues as well as to mitigate disproportionate impact on student access and achievement. The Chancellor’s Office provided an updated plan template to colleges in late 2013.
- To increase access, course completion, ESL and basic skills completion, degrees, certificates and transfer for all students as measured by success indicators linked to the CCC Student Success Scorecard
- To develop specific goals/outcomes and actions to address disparities that are discovered, disaggregating data for indicators by student demographics
- To prepare a student equity plan with three- to five-year timeframes of planned activities and improvements, in alignment with the Student Success and Support Program Plan
- De Anza College Student Equity Plan, 2019-2022
- De Anza College Student Equity Plan, 2015-2020
- 2015-2016 Student Equity Plan Feedback Summary
- 2015-2016 Student Equity Plan Feedback Worksheet